Tigard man shot and killed by deputies in Sherwood field

Chopper 2 video

An armed and dangerous suspect who was being pursued by Washington County sheriff's deputies Friday afternoon was shot and killed following a stand-off with officers.

The incident began unfolding around 1 p.m. at Roy Rogers and Scholls Ferry when deputies got a call about a suspicious vehicle driving in a field.

A Sherwood officer tried to contact the suspect, who fired shots and drove deeper into the field. No one was injured in that incident, but at that point, deputies called in the county's Tactical Negotiation Team and crisis negotiators to assist.

Around 3 p.m. the suspect drove his pickup truck onto a field. Eventually the tactical team sent in a light-armored vehicle, which was used to ram the suspect's car several times.

The suspect attempted to get out of the car, and was eventually shot and killed, ending the tactical situation a half hour later. The sheriff's office said law enforcement provided first aid to the suspect, but he died.

The sheriff's office identified the man as 54-year-old Remi Sabbe of Tigard. It said authorities found an AR-style rifle inside Sabbe's truck.

"This was a very fast-moving, changing and rapidly evolving situation involving our SWAT and the suspect," Jeff Talbot with Washington County Sheriff's Office said. "We’re going to be piecing together what happened, and that information will come out once we confirm it."

Major crimes officers and detectives are responded to scene. No officers were hurt.

The deputies involved in the incident were put on administrative leave, which is standard procedure during a deadly shooting involving law enforcement. Their names have not yet been released.

Before officers responded to the initial report of a suspicious vehicle, neighbors say they heard gunfire.

"Rapid-fire, maybe two dozen shots and then a break for about a minute and then it happened again," eyewitness Mike Jingozian told KATU News. "Maybe not as many the second time around, but a lot of shots."

Jingozian lives near the field where the suspect was shot and killed. He's accustomed to gunfire in the rural area, but not as much as he heard.

"Once in a while, one or two go off, someone is doing some target practice or something," Jingozian said. "I have never heard so many gunshots at the same time."

Other neighbors, to the east of the field in Sherwood, heard gunfire coming from the field.

"I heard gunshots," Marissa Pascaul said. "A lot of gunshots."

Pascaul's commute to Beaverton was lengthened as many roads in the area were closed.

"It's a very quiet community," Pascaul said. "It's very unusual and very scary."

Laurel Ridge Middle School was placed in lockout during the incident.

Roy Rogers from Elsner Road to Cedarview Way, and a portion of Elwert Road, was closed. By 8 p.m. the roads reopened.

The Interagency Violent Crimes Team was on scene Friday night, as well as members of the Washington County District Attorney's Office, the Medical Examiner's Office and sheriff's deputies.

KATU conducted a records check of Sabbe and found he was convicted of misdemeanor DUII in Multnomah County in 2008. A DUII charge in 2006 was dropped, but he was convicted of failure to perform the duties of a driver.

This incident was not related to the search for a domestic violence suspect accused of seriously assaulting his girlfriend earlier in the day, also in Washington County.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off