Electrical issue started fire that burned down Forest Grove church

Firefighters arrived to find Hillside Bible Church engulfed in flames. (Photo: Forest Grove Fire & Rescue)

A fire investigator has determined that an electrical issue started a fire Saturday that burned down Hillside Bible Church.

Firefighters were called shortly before 6 p.m. to the church on Northwest Clapshaw Hill Road.

They arrived to find the church engulfed in flames. About five minutes later, the church’s steeple and roof collapsed.

It took about an hour for firefighters to put out most of the fire. Fighting the flames was made more difficult because there were no hydrants nearby and water had to be brought to the scene.

The electrical failure occurred in a “void space” between the basement and the main floor, according to Forest Grove Fire & Rescue.

No one was at the church at the time of the fire. One firefighter's hand received minor burns, but no one else was injured.

Church members held Sunday services outside the charred remains of the church.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending