First-time mother who accidentally smothered baby sues Portland hospital for $8.6 mil.
PORTLAND, Ore. – A mother who accidentally smothered her newborn is suing a Portland hospital for $8.6 million, claiming they left the infant with her unattended after giving her pain killers and sleep aids.
The lawsuit, filed Friday, claims that Portland Adventist Medical Center is at fault for the death of Monica Thompson’s ten-day-old son Jacob.
Thompson gave birth to Jacob on August 2, 2012 via C-section. He was a healthy baby boy with no conditions or ailments, the report says.
Three days later, Jacob was taken to a nursery so Thompson could recover and be discharged from the hospital.
The suit claims the hospital gave Thompson “a combination of narcotic pain killers and sleep aids” at about midnight, and a nurse brought Jacob to her about 3 a.m. so she could breastfeed.
“About an hour later, still drowsy and groggy, Mrs. Thompson noticed her son was unresponsive in her arms,” the lawsuit states.
Staff performed emergency procedures, and the boy was placed on life support. He was pronounced deceased at ten days old.
The lawsuit alleges negligence on the part of the hospital for medicating the breastfeeding mother, putting the infant in her bed without supervision, and not having clear policies or enforcement on the dangers that the combination could create.
The lawsuit is also seeking relief for the emotional distress for "unintentionally killing her firstborn child."
In total, the lawsuit is seeking $8,600,000 in relief. The suit was filed by the Conde Law Group of Lake Oswego.