Former substitute teacher with history of inappropriate conduct charged with sex abuse
A former substitute teacher at the center of a more than $6 million lawsuit against the Reynolds School District is charged with sex abuse.
Authorities said he as a history of inappropriate conduct.
Dale Buckendahl, 53, pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree sex abuse on Thursday.
Investigators said the alleged assaults happened at Alder Elementary School in the Reynolds School District from 2007 to 2008.
Officers said the alleged victim, a former student, first reported the allegations to law enforcement and Oregon's Department of Human Services in 2011.
Through a lawyer, Tom Patton, she filed a lawsuit against the school district in March.
"The teacher engaged in grooming behaviors appropriate in other circumstances -- physical affection, rubbing shoulders that sort of thing," Patton told KATU on March 9, "and then ultimately resulting in sexual assault that occurred when she was 9 towards the end of her 3rd-grade year."
It's not the first time Buckendahl has been accused of inappropriate conduct.
Oregon's Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) suspended him for a month and put him on four years' probation in 2003 over incidents at Barnes Elementary School in Beaverton.
In a stipulated order, the commission says, "Mr. Buckendahl attempted to use his classroom computer on Oct. 17, 2002 to access sexually explicit materials through the district's internet connection in violation of district policy regarding internet use."
The TSPC also says he inappropriately gave gifts, emailed students and touched a former student.
"Obviously we think there is culpability on behalf of Reynolds School District," said Patton, "given the fact that he obviously had issues and should have been more closely supervised."
Buckendahl stopped working for the Reynolds School District in 2011. His teaching license was revoked in 2014.
Buckendahl taught at Barnes Elementary from 1998 to 2003. He got his job as a substitute for the Reynolds School District later that year.
A lawyer for the district did not immediately respond to a voicemail and email requesting comment.
Regarding how long it took to press charges, Sgt. Chris Burley, a spokesman for Portland Police Bureau said, "Investigations that involve juveniles are complex and often times take a longer period of time to investigate than investigations involving adult victims. Once this case has been adjudicated, Family Services Division personnel are able to discuss specifics."
Other schools in which Buckendahl was a substitute teacher
Buckendahl is only accused of sex abuse charges at Alder Elementary. He was a substitute teacher at other schools. According to the Multnomah Educational Service District, Buckendahl was a substitute teacher at the following schools between 2004 and 2011:
47 days in Centennial between 2004 and 2011
- Centennial High School; 1 day in 2006, 2 days in 2008, 4 days in 2010, 1 day in 2011
- Centennial Middle School; 1 day in 2007, 2 days in 2008, 7 days in 2009, 2 days in 2010
- H. Oliver Intermediate; 1 day in 2004, 4 days in 2010
- Harold Oliver Primary; 1 day in 2008, 1 day in 2009, 1 day in 2010
- Lynch Meadows; 1 day in 2006
- Lynch View; 4 days in 2009
- Lynch Wood; 1 day in 2005, 2 days in 2009
- Pleasant Valley; 2 days in 2009, 1 day in 2011
- Butler Creek; 4 days in 2009
1 day at Corbett Middle School/High School in 2008
- 46 days in David Douglas between 2005 and 2011
- David Douglas High School; 1 day in 2008, 4 days in 2009, 3 days in 2010, 1 day in 2011
- Fir Ridge Campus; 1 day in 2005, 1 day in 2009
- Alice Ott Middle School; 1 day in 2005, 1 day in 2010, 1 day in 2011
- Ron Russell Middle School; 1 day in 2011, 1 days in 2006,2 days in 2009, 2 days in 2010, 1 day in 2011
- Floyd Light Middle School; 1 day in 2005, 1 day in 2009
- Cherry Park Elementary; 1 day in 2005
- Earl Boyles Elementary; 1 day in 2004, 1 day in 2005, 2 days in 2008
- Gilbert Park Elementary; 7 days in 2009
- Gilbert Heights Elementary; 1 day in 2008, 3 days in 2009
- Lincoln Park Elementary: 1 day in 2009
- Menlo Park Elementary; 1 day in in 2009, 1 day in 2011
- Mill Park Elementary' 1 day in 2009, 1 day in 2010
- Ventura Park Elementary; 1 day in 2006, 1 day in 2008
15 days in Parkrose between 2004 and 2010
- Parkrose High School; 2 days in 2004, 3 days in 2008, 2 days in 2009,1 day in 2010
- Parkrose Middles Shool;3 days in 2010
- Prescott Elementary; 1 day in 2009
- Sacramento Elementary; 1 day in 2004, 1 day in 2006
- Shaver Elementary; 1 day in 2008
3 days in Riverdale between 2006 2009
Riverdale Grade School; 1 day in 2006, 2 days in 2009
This story has been updated to include the schools were Buckendahl was a substitute teacher.