Investigative files, grand jury transcript released in police shooting of teen

The full investigative files and a grand jury transcript have been released in connection with a Portland Police officer's deadly shooting of a 17-year-old boy.

READ MORE: Grand Jury finds officer justified in shooting, killing 17-year-old boy

Quanice Hayes was shot and killed by Portland Police Officer Andrew Hearst, a 7-year veteran, on Thursday, Feb. 9.

Hayes was shot three times -- twice in the torso and once in the head. He was a suspect in an armed robbery outside the Portland Value Inn on NE 82nd Avenue. Officers found a “realistic-looking” replica firearm on Hayes.

According to police, the Oregon state medical examiner found that Hayes' blood contained cocaine, benzodiazepine and hydrocodone. The Oregon State Police Crime Lab found Hayes' DNA on the replica handgun.

According to the grand jury transcript released Monday, the victim in the armed robbery outside the Portland Value Inn testified that Hayes acted like "a professional ... calm, cool, collected and very direct ... there was no way of doubting or disbelieving this guy was not a pro. He had done this multiple times. Without a doubt."

The victim, Armando Suarez, testified Hayes robbed him of cigarettes, a food stamp card and a vest.

He said he was asleep in his car when he heard a knock on his door. He said a man pointed a gun at him and threatened him.

Police eventually tracked Hayes down to a home in the 8300 block of Northeast Hancock Street. They found him in an alcove between a garage and a home.

Officer Hearst testified that he used an AR-15 to shoot and kill Hayes after the teen repeatedly ignored his instructions.

"I tell him, 'If you reach for your waistband, I will shoot you,'" Hearst testified.

Hayes was instructed to get down on his knees, and then crawl to officers with his hands in front of him. At one point, officer Hearst testified Hayes suddenly begun looking around, "I'm thinking he's either looking for an avenue of escape to run or he's looking at a target, an officer, to shoot. And as he's doing that, he takes his right hand and he drops it to the small of his back. But immediately, as he kind of puts it down, he pulls it back out."

Hearst then testified Hayes reached to the front of his waistband, and that's when he shot the 17-year-old.

"So it was absolutely a conscious decision on my part to defend myself, my coworkers and any citizen that might be behind me from the threat of him getting that gun out and shooting us," Hearst told the grand jury.

After the shooting, Hayes was found with Suarez’s card and a fake gun nearby.

Hearst testified that he was with his partner on a call dealing with a parking issue before responding to the scene where Hayes was located. The officers there were looking for a police officer with specialized rifle training. Hearst had that training and he and his partner decided to respond to the call after they finished up with the parking issue.

The transcripts state that Hearst's partner drove because Hearst needed to know everything before dealing with the situation and deploying his rifle.

A total of 27 people testified in front of the grand jury.

The grand jury found Hearst was justified in shooting and killing Hayes.

View a timeline based on a police report:

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off