Lebanon teen acts fast, uses fire extinguisher to save kitchen

Officials say 13-year-old Chase Paziani use a fire extinguisher to put out a grease fire in his kitchen. The home was not damaged. Photo courtesy Lebanon Fire District

LEBANON, Ore. – Lebanon Fire District credits a quick-thinking 13-year-old for extinguishing a grease fire in the kitchen at his home Monday.

Firefighters say they responded to a kitchen fire at a residence in the 39900 block of Mt. Hope Drive at 12:03 Monday.

When crews arrived, a woman said the family had already extinguished the grease fire.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera and determined the fire was completely out.

According to the homeowner, there was a pan on the stove when she stopped outside and lost track of time. When she was in the yard, she noticed smoke coming from the roof vent and ran back inside to discover the pan burning on the stovetop.

She tried putting a lid on the pan, but it was not big enough.

At the same time, her son, Chase Paziani, 13, grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Firefighters say if it was not for Chase and his older brother, 16-year-old Garren, acting fast, the outcome could have been much worse.

Officials say there was no damage to the house.

Chase’s family says he wants to be a firefighter someday. His mother was extremely proud of him.

The Engine 31 crew praised Chase and Garren and invited them to the Lebanon Fire District at any time for a tour and a visit.

Firefighters remind the public to never leave a stove unattended and never use water to put out a grease fire.

The Lebanon Fire District provides free fire extinguisher classes at their station on the third Wednesday of every month between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending