Court docs: Man follows women onto elevators, threatens to sexually assault them

Booking photo for Jeffrey C Lane alongside a surveillance photo of the suspect - Photos from Portland Police

PORTLAND, Ore. – The 38-year-old accused of following women into elevators in October and threatening to sexually assault them may have committed a similar crime in August, court documents show.

Jeffrey C. Lane was arraigned Monday on several charges including kidnapping and attempted sexual assault for two incidents last month. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

READ MORE - Suspect in attempted sexual assaults appears in court: 'That's a lot of felonies'

The first incident happened about 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, October 18. A woman parked at a downtown parking garage and was walking toward her office when a man, later identified as Lane, followed her into the office building and onto an elevator. She told police no one else was in the lobby at the time.

According to court documents, he “got within inches of her” and told the woman he was going to have sex with her. She shoved him away twice and managed to get the elevator closed.

The second reported incident happened about 7:30 p.m. on October 27 at a parking garage at SW 10th Avenue and Morrison Street. A woman told police she just left work and was going to her car on the 3rd floor of the garage when a man got onto the elevator with her.

A probable cause affidavit states that as soon as the elevator started moving, Lane “pressed his nose into her chest, making contact with her breast, took a huge sniff in, and told her she was ‘hot’ and she ‘smelled good.’”

She told the man to “get the hell off me” and he replied that he was “going to kill” her, the court documents state. Lane blocked the elevator door when it opened, and he shoved her back. When the door opened again she managed to duck under her arm and run about 15 to 20 feet before he grabbed her arm, police said.

Lane reportedly ran off after seeing a security guard. The woman told the security guard what happened, and he took a report. She again reported the incident to police on October 30.

The women in both cases identified Lane as the suspect after looking at a photo lineup of suspects.

Investigators released a surveillance photo from one of the attacks, and Lane’s family members called officers after seeing the photo on news reports. Beaverton Police arrested Lane Saturday, Nov. 4 near the Washington Square Mall.

Police showed Lane the surveillance photo and he admitted that it was him.

After Lane’s arrest, another woman came forward reporting that on August 20 a man had harassed her while she was walking to her office building on NW Couch Street. She said the man followed her into the building, and only left when she pulled out her phone to call 9-1-1.

When showed a photo lineup of potential suspects, she selected the image of Lane.

Lane has not been charged with anything related to the third reported incident from August.

He is set to appear in court again on November 15.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off