Man sentenced to 17 years in prison for killing man, wounding woman in downtown Portland

Thomas Dorris was sentenced to 17 years in prison on Nov. 1, 2018 for killing Chester Newborn in Portland in 2016. KATU photo

PORTLAND, Ore. – A man was sentenced to 17 years in prison Thursday for shooting and killing a man and injuring another person in downtown Portland in 2016.

According to Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill, 50-year-old Thomas Dorris will also be on three years of post-prison supervision once he’s released.

Dorris was sentenced for killing Chester Eugene Newborn.

"I have heard the saying, 'a man is not dead while his name is still spoken.' So I will speak his name daily,” Newborn’s sister said in court on Thursday. “I will write his name in the sand on the beaches so he can be with the ocean that he loved so very much. I will tell his jokes. When I see someone do something that reminds me of him, I will make sure to let them know and tell them just how wonderful he was. I will make sure he lives on breathing through me in every possible way that I can. I will continue to say his name. Chester “Chaz” Eugene Newborn."

Other family members said Newborn will be remembered as the most outgoing, fun-loving and easy-going person in the family.

Police began investigating the shooting on June 19, 2016 when officers responded to the intersection of Northwest 4th Avenue and Northwest Davis Street after receiving information about a shooting.

When officers arrived, they found a woman screaming in pain. Witnesses told police that two people had been wounded, including Newborn.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office determined Newborn died as a result of a gunshot wound and ruled his death a homicide.

The woman who was injured suffered from a gunshot wound to her right leg.

Witnesses said they heard gunshots before seeing a man, later identified as Dorris, running into the road with a firearm.

Law enforcement officers took Dorris into custody shortly after he entered a nearby gas station. Police found an empty pistol holder on him and a firearm sitting on the counter of the gas station when they took him into custody.

Dorris pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree manslaughter, one count of third-degree assault and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm on Oct. 12, 2018.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off