Complete MAX derailment on icy track shuts down multiple lines; seek alternate means
Every MAX line was disrupted or rerouted Friday morning after a complete derailment at the Rose Quarter Transit Center just before 4:30 a.m. Friday.
Yellow and Orange lines were shut down for hours, and all other lines were rerouted. Limited Orange line service was restored as of 7:15 a.m., per an update.
- INFO | Check the latest service info & alerts from TriMet here.
In multiple tweets early Friday, TriMet more-or-less suggested commuters find another way to get to work.
According to TriMet spokesperson Roberta Altstadt, the train switched onto a little-used section of track that had become coated with ice, causing the derailment. The train was shifted off to the right of the tracks at a multi-track junction, but all train cars remained upright.
TriMet sent shuttle buses for passengers waiting out in the cold due to cancelled service.
There were no reports of injuries in the derailment, per officials.
MAX line service updates from TriMet:
- *20 minute frequency between trains*
- Orange Line between SE Park Ave & Union Station
- Blue Line between Hillsboro & Goose Hollow
- Blue Line between Gateway Transit Center & Gresham
- Red Line between Gateway Transit Center & PDX
- Green Line between Gateway Transit Center & Clackamas Town Center
- No service between Goose Hollow & Rose Quarter
And bus service info:
- Some routes canceled, on snow routes or detoured
- All buses are chained, cannot exceed 25 mph
- Expect delays