Militia members booked into Multnomah County Jail

This photo provided by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016, shows Ammon Bundy, one of the members of an armed group occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge as part of a dispute over public lands in the Western U.S. Bundy and several others were arrested on Tuesday, Jan. 26, prompting gunfire and leaving one man dead during a traffic stop along a highway in Oregon's frozen high country.

Several members of the group that took over a Southern Oregon wildlife refuge, including militia leader Ammon Bundy, have been arrested and booked into the Multnomah County Jail after a deadly confrontation with law enforcement.

The five people were arrested after FBI agents and Oregon State Police stopped their vehicle on Highway 395 between Burns and John Day. One man, LaVoy Finicum, was killed during the confrontation, CNN confirms.

Each person was booked into the Multnomah County Jail without bail on a U.S. Marshals hold:

  • Militia leader Ammon Bundy
  • His brother, Ryan Bundy, who was injured during the incident, but treated and released into custody.
  • Brian Cavalier, also known as "Fluffy Unicorn," who's been acting as Bundy's body guard.
  • Shawna Cox, who has, according to her husband, been doing paperwork and cooking for the group
  • Long time militia supporter Ryan Payne.

Two others, Joseph Donald O'Shaughnessy and online talk-show radio host Peter Santilli were arrested in Burns. Jon Ritzheimer was arrested after surrendering to authorities in his home state of Arizona. All of them are facing federal felony charges of conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties, through the use of force, intimidation or threats.

Wednesday marks Day 26 of the armed occupation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. It started as a push to keep two ranchers, Dwight and Steven Hammond, out of prison. | READ MORE: Showdown at the Malheur NWR

The FBI and State Police troopers set up containment checkpoints around the refuge on Wednesday, a move they say is for the safety of the community and law enforcement. Only local ranchers with property on the refuge will be allowed through the checkpoints, and anyone leaving will have their vehicle searched.

Jason Patrick, a member of the militia who's still at the refuge, says his group wants the government to give back the federal land he feels they obtained illegally.

Patrick told KATU News the FBI has given them an ultimatum and asked them to leave. The FBI has not confirmed the claims.

When asked if they will leave, Patrick said, "I think everything's about the same. There's a redress of grievances that's been delivered well over two months ago now with absolutely no response."

Authorities will release more information at a news conference Wednesday morning. Watch it #LiveOnK2 online at 11 a.m.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off