Officers shoot, kill person in SW Portland, protesters gather at scene

Shooting in SW Portland early Sunday morning - KATU photo from photojournalist Evan Bell.

PORTLAND, Ore. – A person has died in the hospital after he or she was shot by officers in downtown Portland early Sunday morning.

According to police, officers were on patrol when about 3:10 a.m. there was gunfire near the intersection of Southwest 3rd Avenue and Harvey Milk Street. Two people were injured in that shooting.

“Officers engaged a subject and an officer-involved shooting occurred,” police said in a release.

Police said the “subject” was taken to a hospital for treatment, however, the person was later pronounced deceased. Portland Police is withholding the victim's name until family members have been notified of the death.

No officers were hurt.

Witnesses tell KATU News they woke up to gunshots early Sunday. According to multiple witness accounts, there were a few gunshots, then a pause, then nine or ten more. They say they heard about 12 gunshots total. Witnesses saw at least one man taken away in an ambulance.

Police say the person they shot was involved in the original shooting, where two other people were injured. Investigators said they recovered a gun at the scene. They closed the blocks between SW 2nd and 4th Avenues from Oak Street to Washington Street.

Later in the morning hours, the group Don't Shoot PDX gathered at the scene to protest the police use of deadly force. Members of the peaceful protest blocked off the surrounding blocks in the one-way grid.

Teressa Raiford, an organizer with Don't Shoot Portland, says the person killed was a black man. She said she knew the man.

"He was a child, and he was a father, and he was a brother, and he was a son," she said.

Raiford said the man did not need to be shot.

"I know that in previous shootings, if it's a person of color, they don't have any restraint when it comes to using bullets," said Raiford. "They have tasers, they have pepper spray, they have all different types of devices to not use deadly force, but they continue to use deadly force on people that they actually know. I wouldn't be surprised to see police say that he was actually known to them."

By 10 p.m. Sunday, a portion of Southwest 4th Avenue was blocked off with police tape and protesters remained near the scene.

The officers involved in the shooting have been put on paid administrative leave, as is protocol until a completed investigation and Grand Jury ruling.

A similar protest is underway at the Portland State University after PSU campus officers shot and killed Jason Washington on June 29.

Anyone with helpful information is asked to contact Portland Police Bureau Detective Darren Posey at 503-823-0403 or at or Detective Rico Beniga at 503-823-0457 or at

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off