Keizer Police: Barricaded suspect in custody

File photo

Keizer and Salem police officers arrested a man accused of assaulting his brother and refusing to come out of a home Friday morning.

On Thursday evening around 10:10 PM, Keizer police were called to a residence at 7225 Wheatland Road North after a 911 caller, later identified as 23-year-old Isaac Lee Haskins, requested an ambulance take him to the hospital to "cool down from the situation."

Officers arrived at the home and talked to family members of Haskins inside the home. Police could not find Haskins, and say he apparently left the area before officers arrived.

Since no crime had been committed, police cleared the call without further action.

The next morning, around 6:17 AM, Keizer Police were called back to the same home after a 911 call about a domestic disturbance and assault.

When officers arrived on scene, they found 27-year-old Joel Haskins had been assaulted by his younger brother, Isaac Haskins, police say.

Joel Haskins was immediately taken to Salem Health. His injuries are not life-threatening.

Police say responding officers found Isaac Haskins in the backyard of the home and tried to take him into custody, but he refused to surrender and climbed a ladder that led to his second-story bedroom.

Once back inside the home, officers went through the front door and found Haskins downstairs. Police say he continued to refuse to surrender, so they deployed a '40MM less-lethal impact baton' and struck him in the leg.

Police say Isacc Haskins then barricaded himself in the downstairs bathroom and continued to resist arrest.

Officials say members of the Salem Police Department Tactical Negotiations Team engaged Haskins in conversation until he peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody around 8:37 AM.

Haskins was arrested for one count of assault in the first degree, one count of harassment and one count of interference with making a report.

Wheatland Road North and Parkmeadow Drive Northeast were closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic throughout the incident.

The roadway was back open by 8:51 AM.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off