Service dog wakes up its owner after house catches fire

Hillsboro house fire on Dec. 25 (Hillsboro Fire photo)

Hillsboro fire officials say an alert service dog woke up its owners when their house caught on fire Christmas morning.

An alert firefighter spotted the flames as he was on his way to work around 7:30 a.m. on the corner of Brookwood and Drake. He called 911 and alerted his co-workers.

The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.

Fire officials say one of the residents was awakened by his service dog, tried to open his bedroom door but felt it was too hot and decided to jump through the window.

He was able to wake up his brother from the outside, who was also able to get out safely.

Four cats perished in the fire, which started in the living room. There were no working smoke alarms at the house.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending