15-year-old boy pulled from burning apartment remains at ICU
A 15-year-old boy who was pulled from a burning apartment in SE Portland Monday night remains hospitalized at the ICU Tuesday, his family said.
The fire was reported just after 6 p.m. near SE 82nd Avenue and Main Street. The boy was found inside the apartment unconscious; he was later hospitalized at the Legacy Oregon Burn Center.
The teen's family says they had just moved into the apartment a few weeks ago. The 15-year-old was home alone at the time of the fire. Family says he's hooked up to a ventilator and didn't respond well to treatment overnight.
Two apartments were damaged in the blaze, and a neighboring building had minor damage.
"The ceiling fell through because the fire was in the ceiling," said Maisy Setile, an aunt of two of the people impacted by the fire.
Setile says Tuesday she was able to go through the apartment.
"Thank the lord that they're safe," Setile said.
The fire displaced 17 adults and six children, according to the Red Cross, which will be helping them with temporary housing, food and clothing.