Vancouver police fired shots during hours-long search; suspect in custody

Brad Reeves mug shot courtesy Multnomah County Jail, KATU photo

VANCOUVER, Wash. – Vancouver police took a wanted man into custody early Thursday morning after an hours-long search.

Officers initially responded to the 2100 block of East 26th Street for the report of a suspicious vehicle around 8:49 p.m.

When police arrived, they discovered the vehicle was stolen and that the man inside, Brad Lee Reeves, was wanted.

Police say Reeves ran out of the vehicle and into the neighborhood as officers approached the vehicle.

Officers and SWAT team members searched the neighborhood for hours.

"Traumatized. I'm just traumatized over it. To not and then to wake up and see them still out here with the yellow tape," says a neighbor who only wanted to be identified by her first name, Tamara.

"They were right in my backyard, yeah," Tamara says, referring to the police. "They yelled at me to get back inside. They yelled at me so that traumatized me right there."

"You could hear them yelling 'Brad Lee come out with your hands up,' continuously," Tamara says.

It started just before nine Wednesday night, and hours later, "There was a long silence for a while then all of a sudden like four to six shots," Tamara said.

Police aren't saying why officers fired shots, but no one was hurt. Police say they found Reeves hiding in a yard in the 2600 block of T Street and took him into custody.

Investigators believe Reeves is responsible for several incidents that recently occurred in Vancouver.

They say on March 29, Reeves reportedly fired a gun at someone who was calling in a suspicious circumstance near Vancouver Lake Park. The caller was not injured.

On Tuesday, officers tried conducting a traffic stop on Reeves who was driving a white Ford pickup truck at the time. Police say Reeves did not stop and instead drove recklessly toward Vancouver Police, who conducted a successful PIT maneuver. Reeves continued to ram a patrol car several times before driving recklessly toward Portland. They say at one point, he was driving southbound in the northbound lanes of Interstate 5 during rush hour traffic.

Then, on Wednesday, police believe Reeves was driving a stolen blue Ford F350 that was reported stolen Tuesday morning.

A police sergeant spotted Reeves driving the vehicle and tried to conduct a traffic stop. Reeves again drove recklessly away from police.

Reeves was booked into the Clark County Jail on charges of first-degree assault, two counts of elude, one count of third-degree driving while license suspended and an outstanding Clark County Warrant.

"I'm glad he's alive I'm sorry he has such troubles in his life," Tamara says of Reeves who is due in court on Friday, April 6, 2018.

All officers are on critical incident leave per standard protocol.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off