Timbers and Revolution play to 0-0 draw

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) The Portland Timbers played New England to a scoreless draw Thursday night to extend their unbeaten streak to seven games.

It is the longest streak without a loss for the Timbers since the team joined Major League Soccer in 2011.

Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth had eight saves as the Timbers dominated possession. Donovan Ricketts had four saves for Portland.

The Timbers stand at 3-1-5 on the season, while the Revolution are 2-3-3 but remain winless on the road.

Portland was coming off a 3-2 road win Saturday against Sporting Kansas City. Rodney Wallace scored the winner for Portland in the 58th minute. The Revolution defeated the Philadelphia Union 2-2 on Saturday, snapping a five-match unbeaten streak

New England was without left back Chris Tierney after he was suspended a game "for a reckless challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent," a tackle against Sebastian Le Toux last weekend against the Union. Tierney also was fined for the tackle.

Portland's Darlington Nagbe missed an opportunity in the 15th minute when he got a second chance on a shot that deflected off Shuttleworth but couldn't finish.

New England's Ryan Guy's attempt in the 42nd minute caromed off the fingertips of Ricketts and sailed just over the net, and the two teams went to the break knotted at 0-0.

Portland forward Ryan Johnson's strike from inside the box in the 53rd minute was bobbled slightly by Shuttleworth, but he dived on it just as Johnson was coming in for a second chance.

The Timbers were hurt shortly thereafter when center back Mikael Silvestre went down and had to be carried from the field by stretcher. He was replaced by Andrew Jean-Baptiste.

Silvestre was signed by Portland in February to bring some veteran experience to the backfield, after playing for English Premier League sides Manchester United from 1999-2008 and Arsenal from 2008-2010.

The extent of the 35-year-old defender's injury was not clear.

Portland dominated possession for most of the rest of the way. Diego Valeri had a high-arcing free kick in the 68th minute that failed to reach teammate Rodney Wallace before Shuttleworth got to it. Valeri got a good look in the 82nd minute, but it went wide by just inches.

The Timbers Army supporter's group unfurled a banner reading "Boston, Oregon," and offered well wishes for Revolution defender Kevin Alston, who was diagnosed with leukemia and is out indefinitely. Another sign displayed said "Boston Strong."

Portland also welcomed 8-year-old Atticus Lane-Dupre and his soccer team, the Green Machine, to the match. On Wednesday the Green Machine played the Timbers in a match arranged by the team and Make-A-Wish Oregon.

The Green Machine won 10-9, paced by Atticus' four goals, including the winner.

The attendance was announced at 20,674, the 39th sellout at Jeld-Wen Field.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off